I seldom watch football. But, I never pass up a Super Bowl party. It’s not the football game that lures me. It’s the food. Super Bowl Sunday is one of the best food days of the year. While the football fans hoot and holler, you’ll find me dipping chips, nibbling spicy chicken wings, loading up a bowl of chili with lots of toppings, slipping sliders onto my plate and maybe grabbing a slice of pizza.
My contributions to the Super Bowl feast this year will include a couple of these Super Bowl Pizza Rolls. It doesn’t take long to assemble a roll with refrigerated pizza crust dough, meat, Italian seasoning blend and plenty of cheese.
I made one Pizza Roll just before my husband came home for lunch, using hot Italian sausage as the meat. By the time he headed back to work, the long loaf was just about gone.
I made another Pizza Roll for this week’s food segment on Lakeland News at 10. I sliced the warm loaf, oozing with melted cheese and exuding an aroma of a pizzeria. I arranged the pepperoni-dotted rolls on a plate for Tom, the cameraman, to take back to share with his cohorts.
“Oh, wait.” I told Tom the cameraman I had to take a picture of the pizza taste-alikes before he carried them out the door. He waited.
Don’t count on anyone at your Super Bowl party waiting to eat these. Serve them with a bowl of warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Who needs football when there’s food like this to hoot and holler about?
These are more of my favorite snacks to take to a Super Bowl party:
Super Bowl Pizza Roll
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (13.8-ounce) tube refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 (5-ounce) package pepperoni minis or cooked Italian sausage
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Pizzeria cheese or mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian spice blend
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Sesame seeds
- Marinara sauce for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush a jelly roll pan with olive oil.
Unroll pizza crust onto the prepared pan, patting with fingers until dough covers bottom of pan.
Scatter pepperoni over the dough. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Pinch Italian seasoning as you sprinkle it over the cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over all.
Starting at a long side, roll up the dough jelly roll fashion and turn seam side down on jelly roll pan. Brush roll with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake in preheated 400-degree oven until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Slice and serve warm with marinara sauce for dipping. 20 to 24 slices.
Tips from the cook
- Pizzeria cheese is a blend of mozzarella and provolone cheeses. I found it at my local grocery store.
- These Pizza Rolls make a wonderful snack anytime. Serve them for lunch or a light evening meal with a green salad and some fresh fruit.
- Watch me prepare Super Bowl Pizza Rolls by clicking here.